I've never been a tidy person, and my workspace is testament to that.
BUT I want to make a good impression in my new job. So I resolve that:
- I will keep my desk and personal workspace tidy. If that involves bringing in the relevant pair of shoes every day and then carrying them home, then that's what I'll do. I will not keep two pairs of shoes under my desk and four in my locker where they fall out onto my toes every time I open the door.
- I will put all paper items into carefully labelled folders instead of piling them up in a stack of in-trays. Trays just convert a horizontal mess to a vertical mess.
- I will keep my cycling panniers discreetly closed while they are under my desk, rather than leaving the tops open to display all my sweaty cycling and gym clothes.
- I will go for proper lunch breaks instead of eating at my desk and getting crumbs down the gaps in my keyboard.
- I will purge the following words and phrases from my work place vocabulary, at least until they know me better: dude, dude that's awesome, whatever, that's retarded, that sucks, who's going for beer on Friday?