When I first started this blog, I had a Google AdSense widget in the sidebar that displayed ads that were supposedly relevant to my blog's content. I removed the widget six months later without making a single cent from it; believe it or not, this blog started with a high level of scientific content*, specifically new research in evolution and my weekly Primate Party feature (any current readers remember that?!), and most of the ads I saw on my blog were for creationist drivel (mildly annoying) or baby monkeys for sale (completely unacceptable).
But this Amazon Associates programme looks like an interesting alternative. The way I understand it is that it makes it easy for me to insert links to Amazon products into my posts, and I get a small commission if anyone clicking through to the Amazon site from my link buys the product.
How would you guys feel about it if I tried this programme? I review books (and occasionally movies, music and TV) anyway, so would it be OK to add a link or two to these posts? I'd use the following guidelines:
- I'd only review products that I'd usually blog about anyway
- I'd give a 100% honest review every time
- I'd state on each eligible post that I get a commission on any sales resulting from my links
- I'd link to these guidelines on each eligible post
- I'd only spend any income I earn on more books, music, or DVDs that I would subsequently review for my readers. (Oh, and maybe iPhone apps...)
- I'd declare how much money I've received (or maybe just what I've bought with it) every six months or so
I don't want to breach any trust I've built up with my readers, so I'll let you guys make the final decision for me! Please let me know what you think, and feel free to suggest any additional guidelines. I've finished a couple of books since my last review post, so I'll hold off on posting those reviews until I've seen the first few comments on this post.
BTW, I very rarely get any hits on my book or movie review posts from people searching the internet and randomly clicking through, so any income (and I aint expecting much, if any!) would be from my regular readers. I don't think my traffic's as high as some of you seem to think it is... I think I just have a higher than average commenter to lurker ratio!
*you can blame Nature Network for the current state of affairs; they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and most of my sciencey posts end up over there now.